Forum Ametys

Forum de la communauté Ametys

You are not logged in.

#1 28/03/2013 22:12:31

pabloa

Ametys installation

Hi

We are evaluating ametys for our site. We want to deploy ametys on a linux server using jetty 9, postgresql 9.1.
I have some questions regarding the installation process.

a) I found under ametys/webapp/cms/WEB-INF/scripts/postgresql several scripts for the user table. I am not sure which I need to use. Why Ametys has jdbc_users.sql and jdbc_users_auth.sql with different columns?

b) for the JackRabbit part, Ametys uses Derby as the repository. I am not sure if that is ok for a production deploy. Do I need to use postgresql for the JackRabbit repository too?

c) are there more SQL tables I need to take care of?

d) Could you recommend me a book for ametys CMS?

Regards.

#2 29/03/2013 11:07:08

Raphaël Franchet
Expert Team

Re: Ametys installation

Hello,

Currently we are supporting different databases : mysql, oracle, derby and postgre.
However please note that postgre is currenlty the less tested implementation in Ametys (especially it has never been tested in production as far as I know) : so, maybe mysql is a better choice for the moment ; even if we will take care of any bug you could find using postgre.

a) The differences between the two scripts is that the first one does not handle credentials and so is to be used with a SSO credential provider (such as CAS or NTLM). The second one does handle passwords and is to be used when Ametys handle the login process by itself. If you did not get my point, please use the jdbc_users_auth.sql as it will work in both cases.

b) You can configure Jackrabbit to use postgre or another sql db, but we do currently always use derby in production : using derby allows to avoid the net layer during transmission and so is very fast. We are using it on websites with quite high traffic : but note that with our 2 level cache architecture, JCR is not so requested...
How many hits does your website have ? How many contributors will you have ? How many times a day a content (article, news...) will be plublished (and so the cache cleared) ?

c) All SQL tables you need are in the directory you did find. Some extra plugins may requires more tables. But, as JCR is holding the main data, the SQL part is quite small.

d) There is currently no book for Ametys, but we will answer to any questions you have.
The english doc you can find here  is not complete.
We are currently finishing to rewrite all the doc, in french in the first time and it will be translated later.

FYI the incomming versions (3.4.2 and 3.5) will contain significant performance enhancements. Thoses versions will be finilized in a few weeks.

Regards

Raphael Franchet
Expert Ametys

#3 29/03/2013 11:13:32

Nicolas Gavalda
Expert Team

Additionally, you should be aware that we currently use jetty for development and testing purposes only, not in a production environment. We usually recommend using tomcat (version 6 or 7).

#4 30/03/2013 03:16:20

pabloa

Thank you both for the advices. I finally could finish the installation.

I would like to share with any reader the selected stack and the reasons for that so they are available for another readers:

Ametys is running fine. We followed the basic configuration steps described in

Please feel you free to add alternative in the documentation wiki if you like it.

Board footer